Junior Academic Promotions
Lecturer to Assistant Professor Level
The Department of Anesthesia’s Departmental Appointments Committee (DAC) has the principal job of reviewing candidates recommended for junior promotion to the rank of Assistant Professor.
The Faculty Appointments Advisory Committee describes the following criteria for a promotion from the rank of Lecturer to Assistant Professor:
1. Advanced Degree: A faculty member who holds a Lecturer appointment and successfully completes a recognized graduate program may apply for promotion to the rank of Assistant Professor.
- The degree program must have been completed as documented by successful defense of a thesis or awarding of the degree before submission of the request for promotion.
- In some cases, a formal advanced training program deemed to be equivalent to a Master’s level program may be acceptable.
- In addition, it is expected that the candidate will have at least one or two published first authored peer-reviewed publications at the time of such a request.
2. Sustained commitment to the academic mission: A faculty member who demonstrates a sustained commitment to teaching, research, and/or creative professional activity over a period of time as a Lecturer may be considered for promotion to the rank of the Assistant Professor.
- There is no defined length of time for “sustained” but it is generally taken to be at least three to five years.
- Applicants will usually be expected to have at least one or two published first authored peer-reviewed publications at the time of such a request.
- An application based on teaching excellence should be accompanied by a Teaching Dossier including supporting documentation (e.g., evaluations). Applications on other platforms (i.e., research, CPA) should also be supported by the relevant dossier and CV.
- Administrative activities are taken into account in assessing candidates for promotion, but are given less weight than academic activities and cannot serve as the sole basis for promotion.
Please note that requests for promotion to the rank of Assistant Professor may be made at any time during the year, however, the DAC reviews these applications only twice per year.
The deadlines for submission of complete application packages for 2019-2020 are:
- April 29, 2019
- September 27, 2019
How to apply:
Using the online application form at http://documents.med.utoronto.ca/WebForms/clinical, complete the Application for a Clinical (MD) Promotion – Lecturer to Assistant Professor. The following documents are required when submitting the application:
- Cover Letter addressed to the Chair indicating that you wish to seek promotion. Describe the basis for the promotion. The letter should be provided on institutional letterhead with a signature included.
- Letter of support from the hospital Chief, addressed to the Chair.
- Curriculum Vitae (UofT format)
- Teaching Dossier (UofT format)
- Teaching Dossier Appendices (teaching evaluations, unsolicited testimonials, etc.)
- CPA Dossier and Appendices
- Copy of your original Offer of Academic Appointment letter from UofT (signed).
- Copy of your original Academic Position Description (signed).
- Two to three internal letters of reference.
The forms listed above should be sent electronically to the email listed below.
For information regarding the junior promotions process, please contact us at (416) 978-4306 or firstname.lastname@example.org.